Friday, November 13, 2009

Colbert on Corporate Personhood

As my final post, I felt I'd like to link to a different type of source than I previously have, as I would prefer this end with some humor.

Stephen Colbert of the Colbert Report nicely summarizes many of the points I have mentioned as part of this blog, including the Citizens United v. F.E.C. case still pending decision from the Supreme Court, as well as the Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad case which effectively started this whole Corporates Rights issue.

When I began this blog, I had been hoping/anticipating that there might be some conclusion to the Citizens United case before the end of the quarter, and thus would give me a nice swan song to write about for the future implications of this blog's topic, but alas it was not to be.

The Supreme Court could decide the issue on narrow grounds which do not really change the status quo in any serious measure. Much less likely, considering the current Court's generally pro-Corporate and conservative bent, it could decide to continue to uphold restrictions against corporate influence on elections, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The fear that many have, and to which I share, is that this case may offer them a chance to further erode what restrictions we have against corporate influence in the election process. I'm sure the irony that such a move would be blatant judicial activism from a bloc that criticizes such activity would be lost of them.

Only time will tell, but until then, I thank the readers who've taken the time to read and comment on this project.

1 comment:

  1. It was a funny video and a nice way to wrap up your blog. Nice job on covering corporate personhood!

    ReplyDelete